钱币论坛_首席收藏网

找回密码
 立即注册

首席专场竞买 | 春拍四月 15日 SBP瑰宝之夜 机制币 纸钞 | 20日 三省 | 24日 K&R | 27日 邓通 | 五月 3日 MDC | 7日 Sedwick | 16日 泓盛 | 17日 CICE | 六月 1日 宜和 | 13日 SA

首席甄选店铺 首席收藏官方店铺 | 茉莉钱庄 | 权芳斋 | 德泉缘 | 德藏世界币章 | 广银阁 | 姑苏银庄 | 东丰阁 | 剑客精品银圆 | 成都小江 | WNumismatics

精选藏品列表 皇冠收藏 | 北京阿城哥 | 天生銀家 | 泉博文物 | 小陈弟弟 | 万泉斋 | 泉是漏 | 浩川收藏 | 蜀藏阁 | 汕头博雅藏 | 梧诲泉阁 | 凝晖堂

查看: 6461|回复: 10

Gold Angels

[复制链接]

主题

帖子

积分

进士

积分
发表于 2016-9-1 16:28:46 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Gold Angels

Gold Angels, probably the most welcomed British hammered coins, are always sought after amongst the collectors. With probably the most beautiful designs and their bigger-than-usual size, they achieved an eminent position amongst the whole series of British hammered coins.

The name, Angel, came from its design. Gold coins of this type have the Archangel, St. Michael spearing a dragon on the obverses, hence the name Angel for such coins. The reverses are a ship with a cross as the mast and a shield of the royal arms below the mast. Beside the mast are the initial letters of the King’s names on the left and a rose on the right.

Angels were first struck during the reign of Edward IV in 1465 and every king after Edward IV also ordered the striking of Angles until Charles I, the King who was beheaded by Cromwell. At first Angel of Edward IV weighed 80 grains or 5.18 grams, with a denomination of 6 shillings and 8 pence (80 pence), exactly one third of a pound (240 pence). The fineness was 23 ct 3 1/2gr (99.5% gold) from 1465 to 1542, but then was debased to 23 ct (95.8%) under the reign of Henry VIII and his son Edward VI from 1542 to 1551. Again, since Mary’s reign, the fineness was restored to 99.5%, the traditional British gold fineness. The weight and the denomination of Angel remained the same despite the changes in fineness.

Angels were popular in their time and used widely. But I reckon that these Angels were of high denomination then because a Groat (a kind of silver coin worthy 4 pence) in the fifteenth century could buy a sheep! Most people only earned several pence in a whole week.

The diameters of these Angels are 28 to 30 mm, a comfortable size to hold in hands but with the thickness of only about 0.3 to 0.4 mm. All British hammered coins were struck from very thin silver or gold flans by a pair of dies, the design of the obverse and the reverse each. The moneyers put the flan between the two dies and then struck them hard with a hammer, so the patterns of both sides were pressed into the flan. The name of hammered coins did come from this method of striking. So it remains obvious that only very thin coins could be easily done by hands.

This is why I could spot the error in the popular American costume TV show The Tudors when Henry VIII rewarded his men with a handful of very thick golden coins. Coins that thick were impossible in the sixteenth century!

Here, I listed three Angels from different Kings. The first one was struck during the second reign of Edward IV (1471-1483). As you can find the angle and the dragon were cruder than later issues. The legend on the obverse reads: EDWARD DEI GRA REX ANGI Z FRANC, the reverse reads: PER CRVCEM TVA SAIVA NOS XPC REDEMPT. This Angel weighs 5.02 grams and was struck between 1477 and 1480.

The second Angel was struck at the time of Henry VIII (1509-1547), the King with six wives, also known as the father of Elizabeth I. The design looked more vivid compared to the first Angel. The obverse reads: hENRIC VIII DI GRA REX AGL Z FR. The reverse reads: PER CRVCE TVA SALVA NOS XPE REDE. As you may have already found that both Kings (REX) declaimed himself as the King of both England (ANGI/AGL) and France (FRANC/FR)! The reverse legends are similar and translated as By Thy cross, save us, O Christ, our Redeemer, apparently came from the Bible! This one weighs 4.90 grams and was struck tween 1509 and 1526.

The third Angle was struck during the reign of the beloved Queen Elizabeth I (1558-1603), which was the Gold Age of England. This one is not as beautiful as the previous two due to its weak striking. BUT! A close look at the mint mark in front of the name of the Queen or the legend on the reverse would unveil its rarity. Mint marks are small marks which were used for distinguishing the different mints or years. The mint mark on this coin is a crown or more commonly called a Coronet. Coronet was seen from coins which were struck in the Tower Mint between 1567 and 1570. A duration of three years is not a very short time in which a large number of coins could be struck. BUT actually Angels with the mint mark Coronet are very rare, possibly less than five samples are known today! The legend on the obverse reads: ELIZABETH D G ANG FR ET HIB REGINA, OK, now Queen (REGINA) of Ireland (HIB) became a new title for the Queen following the title of Queen of England (ANG) and France (FR)! The reverse is different now as: A DNO FACTVM EST ISTVD ET EST MIRABI, or in English as: This is the Lord’s doing and it is marvelous. This one weighs 4.88 grams and was struck between 1567 and 1570.

Angels were struck under the reigns of ten Kings and Queens in total: Edward IV, Henry VI, Richard III, Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary, Elizabeth I, James I and the pathetic Charles I. Those of Richard III, Edward VI, Mary and the last two Kings are much scarcer than others. And most Angels of James I and Charles I have a hole on the coins. These holed-Angels were not supposed to be used as money but as the badges or more officially speaking, touch-pieces. People in the seventeenth century suffered from scrofula or lymphadenitis of the cervical lymph nodes (sorry for the long words as I’m a doctor). This disease was also called King's evil. People wore these touch-pieces because they believed their diseases of King’s evil could be expelled by these touch-pieces which had been touched by the King!

I hope you will like this beautiful coinage!

by Assur
1 September 2016
Shanghai

Edward IV Angel

Edward IV Angel

Henry VIII Angel

Henry VIII Angel

Elizabeth I Angel

Elizabeth I Angel
回复

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

1万

积分

入阁

积分

活跃会员灌水之王

发表于 2016-9-1 16:47:37 | 显示全部楼层
Very beautiful!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

进士

积分
发表于 2016-9-1 16:53:58 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 popo11 于 2016-9-1 17:00 编辑

Amazing coins. Beautiful angels with charm. Thanks for sharing.
One of the most recent session of Spink called The Academic Collection of Lord Stewartby includes some Gold Angel coins. I saw the most valuable one is the Richard III with fablous luster. Here is the link:http://data.shouxi.com/item.php?id=286922

The session link: http://data.shouxi.com/auction_special.php?id=364
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

5万

积分

管理员

积分

推广达人宣传达人

QQ
发表于 2016-9-1 17:08:41 | 显示全部楼层
Professional, Not only a simply collector.
藏无天长地久 珍惜曾经拥有 | 茉莉钱庄 | 权芳斋 - 藏品展示及交流

Cell/Wechat: 139-1102-2008 不闲聊不鉴定不估价,如有咨询敬请发论坛
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

进士

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2016-9-1 20:13:38 | 显示全部楼层
popo11 发表于 2016-9-1 16:53
Amazing coins. Beautiful angels with charm. Thanks for sharing.
One of the most recent session of Sp ...

Thank you for your comment and recommeding this topic!
Yes, this Richard III Angel from the coming Lord Stewartby sale is a good coin indeed and is very sought after. Several of my friends will bid on this one, yet it is a pity that I will have to pass it due to my budget.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

进士

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2016-9-1 20:16:34 | 显示全部楼层
亚高 发表于 2016-9-1 17:08
Professional, Not only a simply collector.

Thank you for your comment! British hammered coins are not familiar by Chinese collectors but I should say that there is much fun in this field!
BTW, I'm always enjoying seeing your topics and your fantastic coins! Well done on your collection and this wonderful Shouxi website!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

进士

积分
 楼主| 发表于 2016-9-1 20:18:05 | 显示全部楼层
I'm thinking maybe I should write a Chinese version of this a bit later.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

5万

积分

管理员

积分

推广达人宣传达人

QQ
发表于 2016-9-1 20:20:18 | 显示全部楼层
Assur 发表于 2016-9-1 20:13
Yes, this Richard III Angel from the coming ...

We are always confused by the budget, especially you meet a favorite coin. So my choice is always gather money before big auction, you will have more chance to make decision that time. Secondly, if the price is just a little high than my budget, just buy it. Or you will feel regret for a long time.

Anyway, no coin is 100% must necessary, hobby is just hobby, not all of our life. Correct value system can help people build a correct collection direction.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

2万

帖子

5万

积分

管理员

积分

推广达人宣传达人

QQ
发表于 2016-9-1 20:23:12 | 显示全部楼层
Assur 发表于 2016-9-1 20:16
Thank you for your comment! British hammered coins are not familiar by Chinese collectors but I sh ...

Assur, Thanks for your kindness and encourage, It's very happy when you can work for hobby purely.

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

进士

积分
发表于 2016-9-2 12:49:57 | 显示全部楼层
Assur 发表于 2016-9-1 20:13
Yes, this Richard III Angel from the coming ...

Budget always sucks. But we Chinese have an old saying "what is yours is yours", means if some stuff belongs to you, it will come to you no matter where and when. Take it easy, enjoy collecting.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

主题

帖子

积分

进士

积分
发表于 2016-9-6 17:47:49 | 显示全部楼层
昙花一现。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

QQ|Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|首席收藏 ( 京ICP备11006322号-8 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 06:24 , Processed in 0.031027 second(s), 24 queries .